Funded by the Mental Health Services Act (MHSA), the Peer Specialist Mental Health Certificate Program (part of the Division of Peer-Based Services at RAMS) provides training for consumers of behavioral health services or their family members who are interested in becoming peer counselors/peer specialists in the field of community behavioral health. In addition to the Peer Specialist Mental Health Certificate Entry Level Course that is currently offered, RAMS has designed its Advanced Course to support and educate individuals who are providing, or have recently provided peer-based services to clients in the community (or possess relevant training, volunteer and/or educational experience), and would like to obtain more specialized peer counseling training and professional development opportunities.
We are looking for individuals who:
- Are at least 18 years of age and a resident of San Francisco,
- Have successfully completed at least a High School education or GED, and
- Are able to attend 8 weeks of classes, which will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays (3PM-6PM).
- This program is funded by MHSA through San Francisco Behavioral Health Services. As such, the course is targeted to individuals with personal experience with the Community Behavioral Health System of Care and family members.
- Individuals with current or past work experience, education, and/or training (including volunteer and advocacy work) in the peer counseling field are highly encouraged to apply
Application and Course Timeline:
- Friday, November 13th: Application Release
- Thursday, November 19th & Tuesday, December 1st: Optional Program Open Houses
- Wednesday, December 16th @ 5PM: Application Submission Deadline
- Week of January 4th, 2016: Notification of Application Status
- Friday, January 15th, 2016: Registration Forms Due for Accepted Applicants
- Tuesday, January 26th, 2016: First Day of Class
- Thursday, March 17th, 2016: Last Day of Class & Graduation
Please feel free to contact Program Coordinator, Kristin Snell, at (415) 579-3021 x102, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions or would like any additional information.